Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Profile Portraits


Wow did this take a lot of 30 minute class periods. But I really wanted to do this profile portrait with 4th grade.  I have done a profile portrait in an Egyptian theme but this time I tried it during our Western theme. I am so glad I did! 
Again as in the lower grades we looked at Fredrick Remington and Charles M  Russell as inspirations.

I first traced the profile of each 4th grader on large 18x24 paper. Then the next class I demonstrated how to draw a cowboy hat with a few different variations. We talked about why they wore a hat and how they could use it for other things. Pretty creative ideas there. Then I gave them time to draw and get it just right.

For the next class we added the facial features. Eyes, nose, mouth, ear and hair. Have I ever told you how much I hate to draw noses? Well I do- so I am honest with the kids and we don't sweat it because we'll get better the more we practice including Mrs. Zwahl.

In our third class we talked about the bandanna and how is was used and is now replaced by all sorts of things. It's amazing! Napkins, tissue, wash clothe, dish rag, towel, table cloth, bandages string or rope, and even more!
Then on our fourth class we broke out the crayons, or watercolor paints. Some kids did all paint, some did all crayon but most did a combination.
I am so proud of the 4th grade classes! They really stuck to it and did a great job! See what you think of all of their hard work.
Peace-







No comments:

Post a Comment