Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thankgoodness for Pumpkin Pie!

I love, love, love this kindergarten project. I started doing it three years ago and I do it every year.   One reason I love it is it has circle, square, rectangle, triangle and pattern in one project! I start early so I can do a different part each day.
 First we talk about how to make orange and I put a squirt of red and yellow tempera right on the paper plate. They mix it together and cover the whole plate right up to the edge.
 The next class we trace a large circle and design our plate. The third class we cut our piece of pumpkin pie, and glue crumpled tissue paper, or in a pinch brown paper towel, for the crust. You can also glue the piece of pie to the plate on this day. The last class we cut strips of paper into squares and make a pattern with them around the edge of our place mat. Glue the plate with the pie on it to the place mat and Voila! done. They look so cute hanging or sitting around. I make sure they take them home in time for the Thanksgiving holiday.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of EATING pumpkin pie, but I love this lesson! I don't think I'd have time to do it this year before turkey-day, especially since we're doing texture right now, but I see other alternatives: a plate of cookies for santa (with triangle chocolate chips) or a birthday cake slice for Presidents Washington and Lincoln in February, etc. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Phyl to do it for another season! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete