Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Artist Way!

I am trying something new on one of my bulletin boards this year. I only have two small boards so this is a big part of the visuals in my art room. On the left side I have "Instead of doing this . . " with some examples of what I don't really want them to draw. Then on the right side I have "Try this the Artist Way!" with an example of what I'd rather see.
Now there is a similar idea called the No-No board which Mr. E uses in his class. I didn't want to copy the exact same thing so I used his idea and made it my own. So far it seems to work.
I typed up some points of what I see that might be improved on if they wanted to "step it up" a notch. Basically reminders so they can improve their work.
I stretched a piece of yarn across to "the Artist Way" picture that also has points to show how the changes make it look like someone older drew it. (This makes them feel proud if someone says to a second grader "Wow, that looks like a 4th or 5th grader drew that!")
The three pictures deal with landscapes, people and how to write their name on the back of the paper.
I must note that I use these as suggestions, or reminders. I don't make a big deal out of it. But what I love is I can refer to it when we are working in class.






1 comment: